Archive for the ‘Historic Color’ Category
The colonial history of the United States covers the history from the start of European settlement until 1776 when the Thirteen Colonies declared their independence as the United States of America on July 4th. This was a period of great transition for our country and a time when styles were blended together to create American colonial design. So this 4th of July week, let’s celebrate our country’s history and style!
Building styles in the 13 colonies were influenced by techniques and styles from England, as well as traditions brought by settlers from other parts of Europe.
In New England, 17th-century colonial houses were built primarily from wood, the most widely available resource, following styles found in England. Brick, the other most widely available construction resource, was used primarily in the Hudson River Valley, Long Island, and northern New Jersey.
Colonial style homes are stately and distinguished, which some say reflect the solid, traditional values of the time. Most Colonial style homes are symmetrical, where each side is a mirror image of the other. Decorative elements are minimal and drawn from Greek and Roman classical architecture. The entry is generally the focal point, with a large door, transom, sidelights, hood, or even a portico.
Some people say color follows in definite cycles, some say you can predict color by the economy or its time has come. Some of that is true but for the most part colors happen because of more than one outside influence.
Most color futurists agree that color has a beginning in fashion, mostly because it changes for every season. If a color catches on in fashion you can count on it showing up on unrelated products down the road. But where does the fashion industry get its influence? It can be a single designer who has a runway show that features unique styles or embellishments and the color goes along for the ride. It may be picked up by someone in the limelight such as a movie star, they wear it to a much publicized event and high end boutiques or department stores carry it in limited supplies. The chain continues if the color remains popular and it is placed on ready to wear clothing or accessories at lower price points where the majority of the population can embrace or reject it. Once it is adopted by the general public it is free to spread its popularity into other categories, such as textiles and home furnishings. The automotive industry may have placed it on cars and ingrained it more into the marketplace. It may have picked up companions on its road to popularity. For example the popularity of cranberry with hunter green in the nineties or the gray and mauve combo in the eighties. In the last few years the aqua and chocolate duo made both colors hits in fashion and home furnishings.
Being paint manufacturers you can grab and adapt the trends much faster than most other products giving us an enviable position. Room schemes should put paint as the last color to be added as it provides the glue that make a color scheme cohesive. Wall colors frame the design of a room and act as a canvas to the items we treasure and surround ourselves with.
Color Guild Spokesperson
The Ladd Carriage House
The Ladd Carriage House was designed by architect Joseph Sherwin in the English Stick Style, the 1883 house is the last remaining building from the once expansive Ladd Estate.Â Constructed at the NW corner of Broadway and Columbia Streets in Portland, Oregon, it housed twelve horses, William Laddâ€™s personal carriages, a hayloft, and residential quarters for the estateâ€™s coachman and gardener. The Ladd family owned and maintained the building until it was converted into small shops and offices in 1926. The building later housed architects such as Van Evera Bailey, civic institutions such as the Portland Civic Theatre and major employers such as Hoffman Construction.
William Ladd was one of Portlandâ€™s pioneer entrepreneurs responsible for creating the eclectic city that Portland is today. Ladd arrived in Portland in 1851 when the city was little more than a ramshackle trading post. He grew a single product store into a thriving business and within three years was elected Mayor or Portland. In 1859 he co-founded Portlandâ€™s first financial institution, the Ladd & Tillton bank. Throughout his life Ladd continued to expand his influence by serving on numerous boards and was a vocal advocate for Portlandâ€™s business community.
A devout Presbyterian, Ladd felt duty bound to give back to the community. He provided offices for the Portland Library Association and left a generous endowment upon his death. Other institutions such as the Oregon Humane Society, the Ladies Relief Society Childâ€™s Home and the San Francisco Seminary all received support during his lifetime.
In October 2008, the Ladd Carriage House was moved down Columbia Street and back to its original site after a sixteen month absence. Relocating the Carriage House was part of the first phase of a redevelopment project which includes Ladd, a 23 story residential apartmentÂ building located in the heart of Portlandâ€™s cultural district. To help retain the history and character of the neighborhood, Opus Northwest, LLC worked with a number of local partners including The first Christian Church, the Friends of the Ladd Carriage House and Ankron Moisan Architects to create a revitalized mixed use block that will prominently feature the Ladd Carriage House. Construction requirements included an underground garage that necessitated the moving all 350 tons of the carriage house to a temporary location in June 2007.
The Friends of the Ladd Carriage House are actively engaged in preserving and restoring the iconic Ladd Carriage House by serving as advocatesÂ for the buildings retention and integrity. For over three years the Friends have worked diligently with their partners towards the goal of producing an economically viable building that will enrich the Ladd redevelopment site and downtown Portland in perpetuity.
Painting contractor Schiller and Vroohan painted the building using Miller Paint. Colors were selected by Opus Northwest based on their suitability for the style of the building and to also fitting into the surroundings. They are a combination of subtle neutrals much like the colors of the era.