Posts Tagged ‘Miller Paint’

Painting History with Color Guild Member Miller Paint

The Ladd Carriage House

The Ladd Carriage House Comes Home

The Ladd Carriage House Comes Home

The Ladd Carriage House was designed by architect Joseph Sherwin in the English Stick Style, the 1883 house is the last remaining building from the once expansive Ladd Estate.  Constructed at the NW corner of Broadway and Columbia Streets in Portland, Oregon, it housed twelve horses, William Ladd’s personal carriages, a hayloft, and residential quarters for the estate’s coachman and gardener. The Ladd family owned and maintained the building until it was converted into small shops and offices in 1926. The building later housed architects such as Van Evera Bailey, civic institutions such as the Portland Civic Theatre and major employers such as Hoffman Construction.

William Ladd was one of Portland’s pioneer entrepreneurs responsible for creating the eclectic city that Portland is today. Ladd arrived in Portland in 1851 when the city was little more than a ramshackle trading post. He grew a single product store into a thriving business and within three years was elected Mayor or Portland. In 1859 he co-founded Portland’s first financial institution, the Ladd & Tillton bank. Throughout his life Ladd continued to expand his influence by serving on numerous boards and was a vocal advocate for Portland’s business community.

A devout Presbyterian, Ladd felt duty bound to give back to the community. He provided offices for the Portland Library Association and left a generous endowment upon his death. Other institutions such as the Oregon Humane Society, the Ladies Relief Society Child’s Home and the San Francisco Seminary all received support during his lifetime.

In October 2008, the Ladd Carriage House was moved down Columbia Street and back to its original site after a sixteen month absence. Relocating the Carriage House was part of the first phase of a redevelopment project which includes Ladd, a 23 story residential apartment  building located in the heart of Portland’s cultural district. To help retain the history and character of the neighborhood, Opus Northwest, LLC worked with a number of local partners including The first Christian Church, the Friends of the Ladd Carriage House and Ankron Moisan Architects to create a revitalized mixed use block that will prominently feature the Ladd Carriage House. Construction requirements included an underground garage that necessitated the moving all 350 tons of the carriage house to a temporary location in June 2007.

The Friends of the Ladd Carriage House are actively engaged in preserving and restoring the iconic Ladd Carriage House by serving as advocates  for the buildings retention and integrity. For over three years the Friends have worked diligently with their partners towards the goal of producing an economically viable building that will enrich the Ladd redevelopment site and downtown Portland in perpetuity.

Painting contractor Schiller and Vroohan painted the building using Miller Paint. Colors were selected by Opus Northwest based on their suitability for the style of the building and to also fitting into the surroundings. They are a combination of subtle neutrals much like the colors of the era.

Subscribe To Our Blog
Archives